How do I choose a cremation service provider?
Buying cremation services is similar to making any large purchase. Unfortunately, the process can be complicated by the fact that you do not have a lot of time for comparison shopping. Even when you need to make your decision right away, there are a few things you can do to make sure you are choosing a reputable company.
- Ask questions: In no case should a cremation service provider make you feel uncomfortable when you ask questions about the pricing, how the process works, or what your rights are. If a provider is not willing to offer the information you need, it may be best to try another company.
- Check them out: Organizations like the Cremation Association of North America (CANA) require their members abide by certain standards. Check to see if the company you are considering is a member.
Here are some other good ways to learn more about a cremation service provider:
- Visit their facility: Is the facility clean and well organized? Do they seem forthcoming and open? Are they proactive in providing you with pricing?
- Check rating agencies: Consult your local Better Business Bureau, funeral regulatory commission, or state Attorney General to see if complaints have been filed.
- Study online reviews: Is their business listing up-to-date and complete? What kind of feedback have they gotten?
- Check out their website: Is the information current? Do they list contact information?
- Ask for referrals: Friends, family members, or your clergy may have recommendations on companies they have used.
DO SOME HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU START SHOPPING
Advance research and planning can help you be a smart shopper when selecting a cremation service provider. You can learn everything you need to know about cremation, the cremation process and cremation costs.